Friday, July 17, 2009

Hazelnut Streusel Buttermilk Coffee Cake

I had house guests the other weekend, and I wanted to make something delicious that could sit out and people could snack on during the day. I had a ton of hazelnuts leftover from my hazelnut macarons, so I decided to make a coffee cake.


Streusel:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tbsp butter, softened
Mix all streusel ingredients together in a small bowl until soft and crumby.
Batter:
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 stick butter, softened
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups lowfat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar together with your mixer. Add eggs slowly, one at a time to butter and sugar mixture until soft and fluffy. In a seperate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating slowly, into batter until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Pour half of the batter into a buttered, floured bundt pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of streusel mix over the batter. Swirl two layers together lightly with a butter knife. Pour remaining batter into pan and again top with remaining streusel and again swirl with knife. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.

The cake was pretty good. I'm just happy that it came out of my cathedral-inspired bundt pan, which I can NEVER get a cake out of.

Follow OMGSammiches on Twitter

No comments: